Physiotherapy is a primary care, autonomous, client-focused health profession dedicated to improving quality of life by:
- Promoting optimal mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness.
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability.
- Managing acute and chronic conditions, activity limitations, and participation restrictions.
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance.
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions.
- Educating and planning maintenance and support programs to prevent re-occurrence, re-injury or functional decline.
Physiotherapy is anchored in movement sciences and aims to enhance or restore function of multiple body systems. The profession is committed to health, lifestyle and quality of life. This holistic approach incorporates a broad range of physical and physiological therapeutic interventions and aids.
Physiotherapy services are those that are performed by physiotherapists or any other trained individuals working under a physiotherapist’s direction and supervision.A Doctor’s referral is NOT required to directly access physiotherapy services.